Tuesday, October 24, 2006
CAPTAIN CYRIL AINSCOUGH (1893-1915)
Information researched by Anthony Brown (Aus)
Cyril was my 5th cousin 3 times removed.
Father: James Ainscough (1858-1933) and mother Lillian Smith
Source CWGC website:
Obituaries in 1915
CAPTAIN CYRIL AINSCOUGH (5th Bn Manchester Regiment) was killed in action in the Dardanelles in August at the age of 22, having previously been wounded twice. He was in the Ampleforth College XI, and played later with success for the Ormskirk C.C.
Details from Burke’s Landed Gentry Vol 2, 1969 pages 5 & 6
“In memory of Cyril Ainscough captain 5th Bn, Manchester Regiment who died on Saturday 7th August 1915 age 22. Son of James Ainscough, of Fairhurst Hall Parbold, Wigan”
Ainscough Cyril of Fairhurst Hall, Parbold near Wigan, Lancashire, Captain 5th Battalion Manchester regiment died 7th August 1915 at Gallipoli on Active Service. Commonwealth War Dead. Panel 158 to 170. HELLES MEMORIAL
Admin London 29 May to James Ainscough, Corn Merchant. £99/9/0 Lt A/Capt Cyril Ainscough died 7th August 1915 at Cape Helles Gallipoli, Turkey 5th Battalion Manchester Regiment (Territorial)
Obituaries in 1915
LIEUT. CYRIL AINSCOUGH (5th Manchester Regiment) was killed in action in the Dardanelles in August at the age of 22, having previously been wounded twice. He was in the Ampleforth College XI, and played later with success for the Ormskirk C.C.
The following list illustrates how Cyril is related to our Ainscough branch of the family.
11. PARENTS: Hugh AISCOUGH (1680-1740) and Elizabeth (1690-1755). They had sons, (10.) Thomas 1715 and (10.) James 1711
10. Thomas AISCOUGH(1715-?)
9. Hugh AISCOUGH (1745-?)
8. Richard AINSCOUGH (1770-1849)
7. Hugh AINSCOUGH (1816-1894)
6. James AINSCOUGH (1858-1933)
5. Cyril AINSCOUGH (1893-1915)
10. James AISCOUGH (1711-1781)
9. John AISCOUGH (1752-1835)
8. Thomas AINSCOUGH (1780-1861)
7. Hugh AINSCOUGH (1822-1882)
6. Thomas AINSCOUGH (1846-1929)
5. Henry AINSCOUGH (1868-1912)
4. Norbert AINSCOUGH (1903-1991)
3. Peter AINSCOUGH
2. Barbara AINSCOUGH
1. Rhiannon AINSCOUGH