Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Mawdesley RC Churchyard - Ainscough burials
Just back from a fleeting trip around Mawdesley, Lathom, Bispham, Parbold, Burscough & Ormskirk where I had arranged to meet up with Mary Ainscough (Parbold Mary of H&R) a very distant relative. My sister Magdalen and niece Hannah also joined us on the trip to discover our "ancestral roots". Thanks to Mary we also got to meet her eldest brother Anthony, middle brother Stephen and family and 2nd cousin Martin of the Eagle & Child Pub. We also discovered far more than I ever expected......
So far I can identify all but one of the gravestones in Mawdesley St Peter & Pauls RC churchyard as Ainscoughs within our family tree. These are as follows:
1. Thomas Ainscough(1778-1861) m Betty (Whitehead)(1797-1879)- my GGGG grandparents
See blog entry 25th March 2007.
2. John Ainscough(1794-1872) m Margaret (Wignall)(1797-1866)- Reynolds Farm, Mawdesley. Youngest brother of Thomas my GGGG grandfather & the Harrock Hall link
Also of Hugh their son Hugh (1830-1853)
3. Richard Ainscough(1770-19th Oct 1849) m Elizabeth (Livesey)(1781-1852) - Parbold Shopkeeper - Parbold Mary Ainscough's GG grandparents H&R link - and 2nd cousin of Thomas & Betty (Whitehead)- my GGGG grandparents
and their son James (1811-15th Jan 1838)
4. John Ainscough (1838 -1916) m 1862 Ellen (Smith) (1837-1892) - Rutters Farm
Harrock Hall link - of Wrightington. John is nephew of Thomas & Betty (Whitehead)-my GGGG grandparents.
5. John (1820- 21.3.1885) m Ellen (Eastman) (1822- 8th June 1863). Son of Thomas & Betty (GGGG grandparents) & brother of Hugh A m Ellen (Cowley)- my GGG grandparents
6. Also Richard Ainscough (1787- 24th Dec 1849)
which looks as though it is John's Uncle Richard (1787-1849) m Nancy (Sergeant) - Rutters estate, but no mention of Nancy!? Richard was also a brother of Thomas my GGGG grandfather.
Nancy Engelhardt from Rhodes Island offers the following information about Richard A. "My research shows Richard Ainscough did not marry Nancy Sergeant (b.1801). He had a daughter with her - Nancy Sergeant2 b. Abt 1836 Mawdesley.
You will find both Nancys in the 1851 census.
1851 Census-Mawdesley, Lanc, England
Nancy Sergeant - Head - Un - 50 - Annuitant - b.Mawdesley, Lanc
Nancy Sergeant - Daur - Un - 15 - b.Mawdesley, Lanc
In Richard's will he states, "to my natural daughter Nancy Sergeant of Mawdesley my clock, corner cupboard, bed & bedding etc ." There is no mention of a wife.
In 1841 census Richard is living with his sister, Nancy "Ann" (Ainscough) Alty (my direct ancestor-ggg grandmother). My line is as follows:
Nancy Ainscough 1784 & Robert Alty 1794> Betty Alty 1816 & John Rigby 1811> Seth Rigby 1846 & Elizabeth Robinson 1845> John Rigby 1882 & Margaret Green 1883>Seth Rigby 1908
Will of Richard Ainscough
4 Aug 1848 Will leaves legacies to nephew Richard Gortley,£50. Housekeeper Margaret Wilson £80., Right Rev James Sharples of Waverton near Liverpool .... for the benefit of the minister for the time being of Roman Catholic Chapel at Mawdesley £20. To my natural daughter Nancy Sergeant of Mawdesley my clock, corner cupboard, bed & bedding etc .
2 Aug 1850 Executors sworn in for will of 4th August 1848
6 Aug 1850 Probate granted on will of 4th August 1848 no issue
Robert Alty 45 Farmer, Nancy 50, Hugh 25, Henry 20, Thoms Cotham 15, John Rigbye 25, Elizabeth Rigbye 25. Richard Ainscough 50 Ind. b. Abt 1791. All born Lancashire.
*John and Elizabeth Rigby are my gg grandparents."
7. Tragically 4 children of Edward Ainscough b.1832 & Dorothy (Cowell) Ainscough b.1828-d.1868 - so Edward is a distant relative
Alice Jane Ainscough - 16th March 1855 (11 mnths)
James Ainscough - 16th April 1855 (2 yrs)
Edward Ainscough - 6th November 1862 (6 mnths)
John James Ainscough - 1872 (1 mnth)
(info. provided by Andrew Scarisbrick) This Edward Ainscough is the grandson of James Ainscough (b.1756), who married Elizabeth Fletcher, who was brother to my ancestor John (who married Margaret Worthington) and his brother Hugh the liqour merchant of Ormskirk (d.1813).
8. Henry Ainscough Parish Priest (24th Jan 1864 - 26th August 1946) - very difficult to read the details but this is highly likely to be the priest & brother of Hugh Ainscough m Ellen Cowley- my GGG grandad - See blog entry 28th January 2007
9. Mary Gabriel (Finch) Ainscough - (1921 - Jan 1st 1951) age 30
1st wife of Oswald Ainscough & Parbold Mary's auntie, Oswald was my 5th cousin 3 times removed.
10. I'm not entirely sure about this one, but this could be James Ainscough d.Oct 12 1849 (58yrs?) m Jane (Sergeant) d. August 28.1858 (62 yrs?)....the dates look about right...and they had at least 3 children die before their 20s also listed on this gravestone
Richard d. 1841 - age 4yrs
Margaret d.1848 - age 20yrs
James d.1854 - age 19yrs
(This James was the son of James (1756-?)married Elizabeth Fletcher - a nephew of my 5x great grandparents John (1752-1835) m Margaret Worthington (1751-1835).
It may be that some of their children did survive perhaps this next John was a son??
On the same stone there is also a mention of Elizabeth Ainscough d. 27th November 1860 - 24 yrs, wife of John Ainscough & daughter Jane - March 13 1834 - age 13yrs
and lastly listed on the same stone is Mary Jane d.July 28 1838 - age 2yrs, daughter of Mary Anne & John Ainscough - purely speculating here but maybe this was the John above, his 2nd wife and daughter??
Its likely that they are all part of the same extended family but I need to do some more digging before I can say exactly who they are - can you help??