Monday, May 07, 2007
Parbold RC Church- H&R Ainscough Founders
The various images show the RC church at Parbold, Lancaster House - a painting of when it was originally built and today as it is now as a retirement home for nuns; Shire Horses on Briars Hall Stud farm and the farm itself, the Parbold Ainscough family tree.
Parbold RC Church & Lancaster House
Lancaster Lane, Parbold, Lancashire, England WN8 7HS
Tel: (0)1257 463248
Hugh & Richard Ainscough Church Founders
The following excerpts have been taken from the website of Our Ladys & All Saints RC Church, Parbold. For the full story click on the link.
Refer to previous blogs of 25th and 27th November 2006 for additional information.
“The Church of Our Lady and All Saints Parbold is a Grade II listed building…..The Church was built by Edmund Kirby between May 1878 and May 1884 at a cost of £12,000. It is constructed of Sandstone rubble with slate roofs….. The windows in the north aisle depicting St. Hugh of Lincoln and St. Richard of Chichester commemorate the two brothers.
…On 30 June 1876 Hugh and Richard Ainscough wrote to Bishop Bernard Reilly (Bishop of Liverpool 1873-1894) about their intention to build a Church at Parbold on three acres of land they had bought, asking that the Benedictine Fathers should serve it. The Liverpool architect Edmund Kirby prepared plans, but unfortunately Richard Ainscough died on 17 July 1877 before Bishop Reilly could lay the Foundation Stone in 1878. Bishop Robert Cornthwaite consecrated the Church, Bishop of Leeds, on 28 May 1884, due to the illness of the Bishop of Liverpool.
…..Until the opening of Our Lady and All Saints in 1884 Catholics had to attend mass in nearby villages…..
In 1814, Richard Ainscough (the elder) 1770-1849 came to Parbold, and with the help of his father (Hugh Ainscough of Mawdesley 1746-1822 m. Mary Smith), started as a grocer and took over the village windmill. This was the foundation of the family firm of H. & R. Ainscough……
….Richard 1770-1849 married Elizabeth Livesey (1781-1852), of Newburgh in the private chapel at Fairhurst Hall (home of the Nelsons). They are buried in Mawdesley St Peter & Pauls RC Churchyard along with their youngest son James.See blog entry March 27th 2007.
…Their eldest son, Hugh Ainscough 1816-1894 (m. Susan Fairclough 1830-1923), later joined in the family business along with his brother Richard 1818-1877 (m Hannah Liptrot). Richard & Hannah lived at Brooklands in Lathom but had no family.
In 1852, Hugh Ainscough married Susanna Fairclough and they had a large family of seven sons and five daughters….they built and lived in the prestigious "Lancaster House", Parbold, now home to the retired nuns of Lancashire.”
…. H. & R. Ainscough were very successful; they built the two steam Flour Mills at Parbold and Burscough; developed the Shire Stud farm at Briars Hall Farm (childhood home of Parbold Mary’s father); and amongst many other things built a hotel in Southport.”