Saturday, February 03, 2007

Another 1881 census Hugh Ainscough

Henry Ainscough Tree - census 1815
More from Andy Scarisbrick (andy_scarisbrick@hotmail.com) regarding Hugh (our number 5) in the 1881 census. Please note that this Hugh is not part of my (Barbara Ainscough) family line but the information may be useful to others. So far my line can be traced as far back as 1558 to Mawdesley/ Ormskirk church records - see blog entries 1st Dec 06 and 21st Jan 07.
To view the tree click on the image and this will link to my Flickr account. You need to be registered (free!) to download the original size from here.

"Since sending you the last email, I think I have confirmed my theory about Richard Ainscough (b.1850) being the father of one of the last two Hugh A.s I am trying to identify from the 1881 census.
I have found the following on:
http://www.familysearch.org/Comenius/

HENRY AINSCOUGH
Spouse: ELLEN WILSON
Marriage: 06 JUL 1835 Croston, Lancashire, England


So Henry's wife WAS Ellen Wilson, and Richard her son, making her brother, Peter Wilson, Richard's uncle, as in the census reports.
This means I have positively identified another Hugh Ainscough from the 1881 census. See the tree for Henry Ainscough (b.1815) with Ellen's surname, and Richard her son.

Henry AINSCOUGH (1815) m (1835) Ellen WILSON (1815) Croston, Lancs
Son - Richard Ainscough b. 1850 Chorley
Grandchild - Hugh Ainscough, b. 1880, Whittle Le Woods

Richard was born in 1850 in Chorley, as were most of the other children of Henry (1815). In all of the censuses, he grew up with an uncle, Peter Wilson, in Whittle Le Woods. Henry Ainscough's wife was Ellen Wilson who was born in 1815 in Whittle Le Woods. This means that Peter Wilson is her brother.

No comments: