Saturday, February 25, 2012

Matilda Cowley & John Wright


Barbara,
I would like to discuss the Wright tree with you. My mother-in-law's maiden name was Wright (she was the grand daughter of Matilda and John Wright).
My husband is the great grand son of Matilda Cowley. I am doing some family tree research and since Mike's mother (daughter of Edward Wright) died in January I have been looking at some of the few papers, photos etc that she left.

In a very small prayer book I found a list of all Matilda's (many!) brothers and sisters so this has helped me a great deal. Because of the marriage connections with the distinctive name Ainscough I have accessed the ainscoughfamily website and also wilcox and been able to spread the tree out wide but not further back than John 1700.

On Edward's list - dated 1902- it says copied from the Douai Bible in the possession of Father Ainscough. Do you know anything about this and Father Ainscough??

Am I right in concluding that both Ellen (Helen) and Thomas married members of the Ainscough family? And of course 3 sisters (Matilda, Alice & Jemima) married Wright brothers!! Edward Wright also makes my family tree design complicated because he married an Alice Cowley (in Ireland)!! I am sure that somewhere there must be a connection between the two Cowley's but as they were Irish I think that may take me years (and visits to Ireland!)!

If you are able to tell me anything more about the Cowley family I would be very interested. Equally if I can fill in some Wright / Cowley gaps in your tree I will willingly try!
Yours

Judy Whiddett


On 27 Feb 2012, at 13:44, JOHN COBHAM  wrote:
Judy, 
My Mothers (maiden name Wright) side of the family has a Wright Cowley Marriage. My  G. Grandfather Richard Wright Married Alice Cowley in approx 1868, the Alice that you mentionTheir son, Thomas Richard Wright was my Grandfather.  The Cowleys (still living in & around Mawdesley) were at that time in Bannister House, Bispham, Nr Mawdesley.Richard Cowley & his wife Alice (Swift)are buried at SS Peter & Pauls in Mawdesley. To add to your tree & further complicate matters my mothers sister Alice Wright married Wilf Ainscough  (John & Theresa) & her other sister Ellen married Cecil Culshaw whos mother was Margaret Ainscough.

Keep in touch

Kind Regards
John Cobham

No comments: